Thursday, October 10, 2024

Viima - Ajatuksia Maailman Laidalta (2006)

The debut album from this band from Finland.

The band was a quartet with a lineup of drums, bass, guitars, keyboards, flute and vocals.

Two guests added bass and alto saxophone on a couple of tracks.

This band released their third album earlier this year which I got. I thought it would be best if I also reviewed their first two albums too so I could review all their albums this month. Something I will do.

The band has been referred to as a folk rock band. Or progressive folk rock band to be more precise. I will not disagree with that label but there is more to their music than that. Much more

There is both a lot of eclectic prog and symphonic prog in their music too. The female vocals also brings in some comparisons with Renaissance. Although Paivi Kylmanen's vocals are great, they are nowhere as good as Annie Haslam's vocals though.

However... there are a lot of Yes and Camel in their music and the guitar solos, which there is a lot of on this forty-three minutes long album, reminds me about Steve Howe. The flutes and the rest of the music is in the Jethro Tull street. That with some Gentle Giant influences too.

The music is somewhere between decent and good. The guitar solos, the organ solos and the vocals elevates this album to a good rating.

I am really looking forward to sink my ears into their two other albums too. This band is one you need to check out.

3 points




No comments:

Post a Comment