Wednesday, April 5, 2023

Big Hogg - Big Hogg (2015)

The debut album from this band from England.

The band was a sextet with a lineup of drums, percussion, bass, guitars, cornet, trumpet, flute, trombone, tenor horn and vocals.

A handful of guests added saxophones, organs and narrations.

I reviewed their latest, their third album Pageant Of Beast in this blog two years ago, just after it was released. I was not impressed but noted that it was a decent album.

I am not able to get hold of their 2017 album Gargoyles. But I got this album and it is up for review.... now.

The music is nowhere near Canterbury prog. Take some acid folk, art rock, add some rock, some blues, a lot of brass rock, indie rock and some 1970s stadium blues rock. 

The female vocals is good and the best thing about this album. 

The songs are decent enough but just that. The music is all over the place and a bit of a frustrating listen. 

This is a decent album and it has dawned on me that this band is not really for me.

2 points



No comments:

Post a Comment