Monday, January 22, 2024

Can Can - En Lek I Forhold (1984)

The debut album from this band from Norway.

The band was a quartet with a lineup of drums, percussion, bass, guitars, keyboards, synths and vocals.

A guest added accordion on one track.

This band was formed by Anne Grethe Preus after the demise of Veslefrikk. They released two albums before they split up and Anne Grethe Preus went solo and then became one of the best and most loved artists in Norway before she passed on some years ago, far too young.

En Lek I Forhold controversally won the Norwegian Grammy in 1984 and I have always wanted to get a copy of this album. An out of print album for far too long. I finally got my copy last year. Yes, I am slow in the uptake. The reason is that I have worked too hard and have hardly had any money to spend until the last years. My interest for non-prog has also not been there. Hence....

The music here is not progressive rock. It is a mix of modern rock and pop. The music has influences from Simple Minds, tango and French/German rock. It is music and a scene I am not familiar with at all.

The music is pretty eclectic at times. The music is always quirky and is bypassing a lot of the traditional rock and pop conventions.

The music is still pretty melodic and the vocals is very good. The guitars, bass and drums is quirky.

There are three very good tracks here. Tango, Oppenheimer and Våt. Songs that gives this album it's own identity. The rest of the songs are OKish and not bad.

The result is a good album. It is not a progressive rock album. But it's quirky music should also give progheads a lot of joy.

3 points



No comments:

Post a Comment