Sunday, December 19, 2021

Monarch Trail - Wither Down (2021)

The third album from this band from Canada.

The band is a quintet with a lineup of drums, bass, guitars, keyboards and vocals.

Monarch Trail has got my approval in my ratings of their first two albums. I was really looking forward to review this album, in other words.

Ken Baird is an established solo-artist with some albums under his belt. Monarch Trail is he branching out in a full band setting together with some other musicians.

First of all, let me rate the cover art-work by Annette Roche as one of the best one I have seen this year. Perhaps even the best one. I would not mind having this one on one of my walls in my castle.

The music also reflects the art-work. It is big, bold and very much symphonic prog. There are some fusion elements here. But this is essentially a symphonic prog album with a lot of instrumental parts in addition to some really very good vocals.

The music flows nicely and captivates the listener throughout most of this album.

The result is a very good album indeed. An album I guess will figure high on most progheads album of the year.

3.5 points



No comments:

Post a Comment