Thursday, June 1, 2023

Ekseption - Bingo (1974)

The seventh album from this band from The Netherlands.

The band was a quintet with a lineup of drums, percussion, bass, woodwinds, piano, organ, synths and harpsichord. 

They got help from a couple of guests who added strings, guitars and electric violins.

When I got this album and the album following this album, I thought I was in for an ELP type of symphonic prog and neo-classical music experience. Wrong !

The band had split up into two bands by this album. Trace, whose albums I have reviewed, and the continued Ekseption. The split now became evident after a couple of minutes listening to Bingo.

This is not symphonic prog. It is fusion and it is jazz. When clearing up that, I cannot say I am disappointed.

As I did not have any high expectations to this album, based on previous reviews of their albums, the music on this album is a positive surprise. Yes, the "old" Ekseption shows up on two good versions of Sabre Dance and The Death Of Ase. The majority of the music on this forty minutes long, too short, album is fusion.

The music is really good though. It is still a bit too run of the mill fusion. But I am not complaining too much. This album is a surprise, but a welcome one.

3 points

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment