Tuesday, August 20, 2024

Ten Jinn - As On A Darkling Plain (1999)

The second album from this band from USA.

The band was a quartet with a lineup of drums, percussion, bass, double bass, guitar, midi guitar, piano, keyboards and vocals.

Two guests added guitars and backing vocals.

I have both reviewed their latest album and their first album earler this year. My review of their latest album made me return for their first albums. Hence my review of their debut album, this their second album and two more albums later this autumn.

I was not that impressed by their 1997 debut album Wildman and had no expectations for the follow up album.

As On A Darkling Plain is over seventy minutes long and the title track is a forty minutes long suite. It also opens the album. The other pieces of music is shorter songs.

The music is a mix of symphonic prog and some glam prog, neo-prog and art-rock influences. 

The symphonic prog is of the US brand and is bold and epic. In the middle of the suite, the band comes across as Saga. There is also some pretty strong Glass Hammer influences here. Strange... but also fun and it adds some spices to this suite.

The result is a good album which surprises me as I had not expected an album like this from this band. This is therefore an album well worth checking out. 

I like surprises like this album.....

3 points



 

No comments:

Post a Comment