Friday, March 29, 2024

My Dying Bride - The Barghest O' Whitby (2011)

The 10th Ep from this band from Great Britain.

The band was a quintet on this ep with a lineup of bass, guitars, violin, keyboards and vocals.

A guest added drums.

I normally never review Eps in this blog. When it comes to My Dying Bride and indeed Anathema, their first Eps were very interesting indeed. They were to a degree genre defining Eps. The genre being slow, progressive doom metal when it comes to both bands.

My Dying Bride was inbetween two drummers on this album and their old drummer kindly helped them out on this half an hour long ep.

New ideas was tested out and then later abandoned on their albums. That itself makes this ep interesting.

The music dark, broody and pretty crass. The art-work tells the story, really. This is not for the faint hearted or those who likes the more gentle sides of this band. Gentle is not how I would describe the music.

The vocals is still pretty clean with some occasional death grunts and dark screams inbetween. There is also a lot of violins here.

The music is still slow, melodic and gothic gloomy. The music is also good and this makes this ep obligatory purchase for anyone into this band. A band I have to admit is on my top ten of my favourite bands.

Check out this ep.

3 points



No comments:

Post a Comment