Tuesday, October 15, 2024

Gong Du Balayeur. Le - Pas Important (1981)

The one and only album from this band from France.

The band was a duo with a lineup of guitars, keyboards, accordion and vocals.

This band has no connection to Gong whatsoever. The music is not far off Gong, though.

When I heard this album had got some strong Frank Zappa comparisons, I was a bit put off reviewing this album..... Nevertheless....

Take Daevid Allen and Frank Zappa at their most whimsical and add some chanson and French folk music. On the top of that, add some French symphonic prog in the vein of Ange too. And yes, the more whimsical parts of Gong's music also springs to mind.

The vocals are in French and they are good. As I do not speak a word of French, this spares this album from my criticism of the childish lyrics. Criticism I have leveled at Tusmørke, Daevid Allen and Frank Zappa. I suspect the lyrics are childish, but I cannot prove it. 

The music on this forty minutes long album is actually surprisingly good. I am indeed surprised. There are some fast songs and some more pastoral songs here. 

When the duo slows down and does their pastoral songs, the quality of the music is actually good. The faster songs, and I suspect the more childish lyrics parts, is not that good.

This is one of the albums who deserve a re-release and some more attention. To my surprise, this is almost a good album. Check it out if Gong or Frank Zappa is your thing.

2.5 points




No comments:

Post a Comment