Saturday, January 28, 2023

Zappa. Frank - Freak Out! (1966)

The debut album from Frank Zappa.

Frank Zappa played guitars, kazoo and did vocals here. He also did the arrangements. The rest of The Mother of Invention did drums, bass, tambourine, kazoo, guitars, harmonica and vocals.

Numerous others added their woodwinds, strings, piano, guitars and vocals.

This is my first ever review of a Frank Zappa album and I will do the discography this year in this blog. I guess it will overrun into next year and perhaps into a the next blog in the Sound Of Fighting Cats blog series. Frank Zappa has released a lot of albums and I got most of them, if not all of them.

The debut album is a natural start and this album was released in 1966.

It feels more like a freaky cultural statement than a serious piece of music. This double LP is mostly a collage of vocals and sounds. There is some songs here too. 

The music is very primitive. There is a handful of good songs here. Most of the album falls a bit flat on it's face anno 2023. The album must have been exciting anno 1966. I am not sure if I would have rated this album even if I bought it in 1966.... It is a bit wild... and a bit too punk.

Nevertheless, this is a decent album and I will continue my journey into his discography.

2 points



No comments:

Post a Comment