Friday, December 22, 2023

Looking Glass Lantern - A Victorian Christmas Compendium (2023)

The sixth album from this band from Great Britain.

The band is a one-man-band where Graham Dunnington does everything. That means drums, bass, guitars, keyboards and vocals. I am not sure how much of the instruments is programmed.

I have reviewed a couple of Looking Glass Lantern albums in # 1 and # 2 of this blog. But I have simply forgotten about this band. The reminder came as this Christmas album.

I am not a fan of Christmas music at all. My family even claim I hate Christmas music. Well, I do not hate this type of music. I just detest it = I do my best to avoid this genre at all cost. That sai..... Fairytale In New York, the duet featuring the both sadly departed Kirsty MacColl and Shane MacGowan is a brilliant piece of music. My alltime favourite piece of festive music.

Graham Dunnington takes us back to the Victorian era in these lyrics for this album.

The music is neo-prog and in the British tradition. There is some symphonic prog here too and the music does has some bells and whistle like in festive music. The music is also pretty moody and a bit gloomy.

It is also mid-tempo and does not have many interesting details.

The result is a half-good album. It is some festive music which does not make me feel ill. And that is a good thing. It is also an album suitable for mid-summers too.

My main gripe is the lack of enough good pieces of music to give it a good rating.

Check out this album.

2.5 points

 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment