Sunday, February 25, 2024

My Dying Bride - The Dreadful Hours (2001)

The seventh album from this band from Great Britain.

The band was a quintet with a lineup of drums, bass, guitars and vocals.

Two guests helped out on keyboards.

I have reviewed their first six albums and some EPs in ProgArchives and in # 1 of this blog. The last review was published around ten years ago and it is about time to complete my reviews of all their albums.

My Dying Bride's debut EP hit me and a lot of others like a tonne of bricks. We became hooked on their mix of death, doom and avant-garde classical music. I have since then had an on and off interest in the band and I regard them as one of my favourite bands.

So it is about time to review the half a dozen albums yet to be reviewed.

I got to know some of the songs from The Dreadful Hours on their 2002 live album The Voice Of The Wretched. Songs I liked.

So the blend of doom and avant garde rock we get on this seventy minutes long album does not come as a surprise to me.

The vocals is a mix of death grunts and clear vocals. The music is pretty harsh but still melancholic. The band has their own genre, their own music carved out on their debut album and this album is a return to this genre after a sidestep into grunge and stoner on their 1998 album 34.788% Complete.

The music here is good throughout and it is a nice reminder how good and unique band this is. Oh yes, they are one of my favourite bands.

3 points

 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment