Monday, July 10, 2023

Alpha III - The Edge (1995)

The 13th album from this band from Brazil.

The band was a duo this time with a lineup of drums, percussion, farfisa, mellotron, synths and vocals.

A guest added female opera vocals on one track.

The 1993 album Voyage To Ixtlan was a good album. A more fusion orientated album than the previous albums and a bit of a big surprise. My hopes for another good album was raised.

This is the last remaining Alpha III albums I have got in my collection and The Edge is probably the final album I will review from this band. 

Alpha III is mostly a one-man-band on the albums I have reviewed. Alpha III is the vehicle of Amyr Cantusio Jr, indeed. 

He got help on this album though. The result is a slightly more organic album. Nevertheless, the thin synths from Amyr is still around on this album which gives us a mix of goth and symphonic prog. That and some ambient music.

The sound is pretty poor and the quality is only half-decent. I have to admit I have never really warmed to this band's sound and music. Alpha III is an obscure band and that for a very good reason.

Warning delivered.

1.5 points



No comments:

Post a Comment