Wednesday, September 1, 2021

Mythopoeic Mind - Hatchling (2021)

The second album from this Norwegian band.

The band is a sextet with a lineup of drums, percussion, bass, guitars, keyboards, programming, saxophone, trumpet and vocals.

A guest musician provided bassoon on one of the tracks.

I was not too impressed by their 2019 debut album Mythopoetry. But the tag "symphonic prog" always draws me in and I was hooked up to review this album too.

I am not sure where symphonic prog comes in here. OK, there is some Yes references here. But not many.

Instead of symphonic prog, we get some sort of jazz. Laid back jazz but still jazz. The jazz is also pretty avant-garde and in the RIO camp although there is some melodies here.

There are a lot of saxophones here and some trumpet. There are also some female vocals and the other instruments.

I am not entirely sure where the band wanted to take the listener with this album. 

The quality is decent but nothing more than that. 

Their two albums is a hit or miss. It is not a hit in my case. 

Sorry.....

2 points



No comments:

Post a Comment