Monday, May 13, 2024

After Crying - Megalázottak És Megszomorítottak (1992)

The second album from this band from Hungary.

The band was a quartet with a lineup of drums, percussion, cello, violin, keyboards, piano, synths, trumpet, bird voices, narration and vocals.

They got help from around ten guests who added guitars, strings, woodwinds and vocals.

I think it is fair to label After Crying's music as one of the more esoteric musical outputs in the progressive rock scene and history. Their music is weird to say at least.

The weirdness is largely due to the band's fusion of neo-classical music, the Magyar folk music and symphonic prog. That sounds strange to my ears. My ears is used to the more Western pop and rock approach to music. The opposite of what we get from this band and their culture.

I don't mean anything bad or negative about that. Music like we get from the likes of After Crying is one of the main reasons I have been running this blog for more than twelve years. 

The album starts with some piano and then some distorted violins before vocals and a bigger soundscape, a pretty dark soundscape follows. Woodwinds and some more pastoral and more dark esoteric music somewhere between eclectic prog and neo-classical music continues to the end of the album.

I have been listening to this album quite often lately and it is a good album although it is well outside my comfort zone. The music on this forty minutes long album is indeed far away from what I am normally comfortable with. It has been challenging me and it has taken me time and effort to get it. 

If esoteric, eclectic music is your thing and you want to be taken outside your comfort zone.... this is an album for you. 

3 points




No comments:

Post a Comment