Friday, November 4, 2022

Dream Theater - Dream Theater (2013)

The 12th album from this band from USA.

The band was a quintet with a lineup of drums, percussion, bass, guitars, synths, keyboards and vocals.

A string quartet from Hungary also added their instruments on this album.

I have no idea why the band chose to just name the their twelfth album after their own band name. This is normally what you do on your debut album. 

I had my suspicions of what was awaiting me. In particular after the rather poor 2011 album A Dramatic Turn Of Events. That album was their first album with their new drummer Mike Mangini.

It has been argued that Mike Mangini is on a different level, a far higher level than Mike Portnoy, the drummer he replaced. That may be the case.

Dream Theater has a lot more darker, more complex songs than I expected. That is the big difference between this album and the previous albums. 

The far too many minutes given to a classical piece by the string orchestra aside, this is a dark album.

There is no immediate hooks and songs on this album. No classic Dream Theater stuff and that has thrown me a bit.

The classical music stuff aside, the music is not bad at all. It is complex and ultra-tight. It is music for the pleasure of the music and not so much for pleasing the masses of Dream Theater fans. 

It still falls a bit short. This is not on the standards I has always expected from this band.

The quality is somewhere between decent and good here. This is a Dream Theater album I will not give much more airtime, I am afraid.

2.5 points

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment