Sunday, January 28, 2024

King's X - Gretchen Goes To Nebraska (1989)

The second album from this band from USA.

The band was a trio with a lineup of drums, percussion, bass, sitar, guitars, dulcimer, wooden flute and vocals.

A guest added piano and pump organ.

I am by publishing this review breaking on of my rules. It says never ever publish a second review of an album. As I reviewed this album fifteen years ago for ProgArchives, I am doing that. But I want to get all my King's X reviews in this blog and to get a fresh set of ears on everyone of their albums. Hence this review..

It is also a good excuse to listen to this album again. It is one of my favourite albums from the 1980s. 

King's X music on this album is a mix of The Beatles, Rush and Led Zeppelin. Add some soul and funk too. 

My introduction to this band was through Rush. Another power trio band with clever, intelligent music is something I was seeking and King's X has always fitted this bill. In particular on this album where we get clever vocal harmonies and melodies throughout this one hour long album.

The music is also infectious clever.... and melodic. My favourite song, one of my alltime favourite songs, is Pleiades. 

The result is a superb album from a band who never really had their breakthrough. The reason is perhaps that their record labels and the music press did not know how to handle this band. Nobody can blame them for that. Nevertheless, everyone should check out this album.

4.5 points



No comments:

Post a Comment